At 31-W Insulation, you can always count on us to guide you through the garage door selection process to meet your specific needs, but there are several things you should know about garage door openers that will make you a more informed consumer.
- Choose the right horsepower- Garage door openers come with different power ratings. Generally speaking, if you have a lightweight garage door, you can get by with a 1/2 hp garage door opener. An insulated garage door or any that are made heavier will need a 3/4 hp model.
- Understand the operation types- Garage door openers are available in chain-driven, belt-driven, and screw-drive styles. Each style has its own benefits to consider.
- Understand what the opener actually does- It might surprise you to learn that garage door openers do not shoulder the burden of the garage door weight by themselves. A torsion bar and spring setup handles quite a bit of the weight, so be sure these components are in good condition.
- Learn about available features- Since garage door openers all have various features, take the time to learn everything about the ones you are considering. Choose what matters most to you, such as security lights and remote access due to wi-fi integration.
- Understand that an extension kit may be needed- One of the main reasons to hire a professional to install garage door openers is because your setup might require modifications. For example, if you have a garage door that is taller than standard, a rail extension kit will be needed, as well as a longer belt or chain and longer tracks.