Here at 31-W Insulation, we have 48 locations across 12 states in the Southern and Midwest U.S. census regions (including Florida, Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana and more). We provide finishing contractor services, not the least of which is help with the installation of garage doors. Once it has been installed, we want to make sure that your garage door continues to run safely and efficiently for you, so here are just a few garage door tips that we’d like to pass along.
Maintaining your door properly is an important part of what you’ll need to do after we complete installation of your garage door. Chances are good that this is the largest moving part of your home.
- You’ll want to listen to how the garage sounds. Like with anything mechanical, new noises can be a sign.
- Keep things tightened and balanced, and all parts in working order.
- Make sure weatherstripping is forming a good seal on the ground.
- Lubricate the springs and chain.
- Note any signs of wear and tear on the cables that lift the door up and down.
- Make sure the tracks are clean and free of debris that may build up over time, especially if your door gets left open.
Important garage door tips don’t stop at maintenance. It’s also important to consider safety whenever you are dealing with a large moving object.
- You’ll want to teach your children about staying clear of the door when it is coming up or down.
- Make sure all family members assume that someone could already be in a vehicle when the garage opens and getting ready to pull out – and they may not know you are there. Get clear of any vehicles when a garage door opens.
- Don’t rely on the safety mechanism to keep the garage from closing when someone or something is in the way that could get caught or smashed.
- Just as importantly, always make sure to get the safety mechanisms (such as force and sensors) repaired or calibrated immediately should you become aware of any issues.
- Never disable a safety feature intentionally!