At 31-W Insulation, we understand that everyone has their own objectives when it comes to adding fireplaces to their home. That is why we carry wood-burning, gas-burning, and electric fireplaces. There are advantages of each type, so it is helpful to understand what can be gained. Here are some interesting facts about fireplace preferences.
Wood-Burning Fireplaces – Nearly 60% of homeowners prefer traditional wood fireplaces. Here’s why:
- Unrivaled Ambiance – Between the woodsy aroma and the crackling sounds, burning wood just cannot be duplicated with either gas or electric fireplaces.
- Alternate Heat Source – If the power goes out, a furnace or electric fireplace isn’t going to provide warmth, but a wood-burning fireplace will still work just fine.
- Efficiency – If you have access to free firewood, you can’t heat your home any cheaper!
- Functionality – There are several things you can do with a wood-burning fireplace, depending on the style, such as keep a pot of water on it to combat dryness in the house or even cook on it in a pinch.
Electric Fireplaces – Just under 20% of homeowners prefer electric fireplaces. Here’s why:
- Convenience – No need to chop wood or order fuel– just turn it on and you have instant results, along with various settings for different visuals.
- Low-Maintenance – Other than making sure the power cord stays in good condition, there is nothing to do to maintain electric fireplaces, unlike the need to sweep the chimney and clean out ash or inspect gas lines.
- Safety – Electric fireplaces are safer, which is a concern for households with pets and children.
- Installation – There are installation costs involved with both wood and gas fireplaces, but with electric free-standing units, you just plug them in wherever you want to use them. There are some styles that would need professional installation, however.
Gas Fireplaces – Just under 22% of homeowners prefer gas fireplaces. Here’s why:
- Economical – In most regions, gas is more affordable than electricity for heating.
- Alternative Heating – Most models of gas fireplaces are operational during power outages.
- Low-Maintenance – Inspections of the gas lines and connections are easy to manage. They do not require the chimney to be swept, and there isn’t any ash to deal with.
- Ambiance – While perhaps not the same ambiance as wood fireplaces, they do have a nice flame that is easily adjusted.