Your gutters are one of the most important parts of your home. Not only do they route water away from your roof when it rains, but they also keep this moisture from harming your home’s foundation. Here at 31-W Insulation, we want you to keep an eye on your gutter system and let us know if it shows any of these signs that it’s starting to fail.
- Pulling away–Your gutters are physically pulling away from your home’s side, sagging in certain spots.
- Disconnected downspouts–The downspouts have become disconnected from either your gutters themselves or the side of your house.
- Visible moisture damage–Water damage has started to show up on the side of your home as well as within the interior.
- Cracks and overflowing–There are visible cracks in your gutters, and they overflow whenever it rains.
- Rust—Gutters that have visible rust spots are not as effective.
- Clogs in a particular spot—If your gutters clog in one specific spot, this can indicate there’s a small crack that is catching debris or be a sign of improper installation.
- Nail heads popping out—If nails are starting to pop out from your gutters, this is the beginning of them pulling away from your house.
- Erosion below the gutters—When water isn’t properly directed away from your home, your landscape below can start to wash away.
- Rotting materials—Your gutters could be failing if your garage doors, exterior doors, windowsills, or deck boards have started to rot.